10/23/2011

PLUGS n holes

a few weeks ago I was introduced to Christopher Boffoli's photography and have since had the pleasure of learning more about him after he generously agreed to answer some of my questions via email. 
not only did I get my questions answered, but Christopher took the time to beef up his answers making me feel like a mach-journalist. fancy. 
scan through just a few of Christopher's images below and read bits of our Q&A a bit further down.  




BJ: What inspires you to continue doing what you do?

CB:  Well, there's inspiration and there's creative drive.  I consume visual media voraciously, from art exhibits to websites, film and video, books, design magazines, etc. For me it is something that is hard-wried in, like an involuntary muscle. I know that well is probably fed by an aquifer of some dark places from long ago. So in some ways I have to create as a means to keep things in balance and prevent them from overflowing by providing an outlet.

BJ: You met Frank Sinatra when you were 12 years old, do you think that meeting changed your life in any way?


CB:  Well my knee jerk reaction is to say, no.  I mean, I didn't really even know who we was.  But conversely, everything changes our lives in some way, even when we don't realize it.  It's a quirky little story that I mention because it is interesting and random. But the most valuable part of the experience was probably spending time alone with my dad, without my little brother around, in the car on a spontaneous adventure on a September afternoon.  And of course I ended up with a souvenir story of how I shook Frank Sinatra's hand.  Though it would have been so much cooler if the story involved a smoky night club and bourbon.  Maybe the story will morph into something greater when I'm 95 years old and senile and I mix up the real story with something I saw in a Marty Scorsese film.  If you've still got your blog in the year 2064 I'm sure I'll have a much richer story for you.

BJ:  Tell me one thing that people may find surprising about the world of photography.



CB:  I don't think there is anything that would surprise anyone about photography.  Everyone has a camera these days.  Even my 87 year-old grandmother has a very powerful and tiny point-and-shoot camera that fits in the palm of her hand and even shoots HD video with the flick of a switch.  



BJ:  What is your favourite color and why?

CB:  My favorite color is blue.  I don't know why.  It's just one of those things that's stitched into my DNA.  I love all color.  But I always seem to gravitate back to shades of blue.  Everything I'm wearing right now is blue.  For me blue is truth.


be sure to visit his website HERE to see even more of Christopher's work. 

No comments: